Friday, August 6, 2010

Ordinary Time 19

"Think well.  Speak well.  Do well.  These three things, through the mercy of God, will make a man go to heaven."

- St. Camillus de Lellis

Last Sunday, I baptized Joshua Thomas Day into our faith community here at St. Joseph’s, and there were about 50 family members for the Christening.  It is always wonderful to see the different generations coming together to celebrate this "gateway of salvation" through water and the Holy Spirit.  One man told me that he was 90 years old and that he was an altar server in 1926 (that is, 2 years after our church was built!)  I was delighted to meet this "Abraham–like" figure!

On August 3, 1946, my parents, Mary Jane Divita and David William Jones were married at St. George Church in Lisbon, Ohio.  Dad died after 40 years and told Mom she would have to enter the Promised Land alone.  My parents were my "faith-models" in my life.

Dr. John C. Maxwell is a favorite leadership author of mine.  I have over read 25 of his books.  In one of his works entitled "Developing the Leaders Around You", he discusses a five-step process to lead and train others.  I think it is critical to learn in any walk of life.

  • Step 1 – I model.  Whether in a family, staff, or parish, we must model what others are to follow.  When people see a task performed correctly and completely, it gives them something to duplicate.  In order to be trained in anything in life one must have a model of -- whether a coach, a teacher, a parent, a saint, or a friend.
  • Step 2 - I mentor.  It is important in training a person, I walk alongside them and assist in the process.  I must explain not only the how, but also the why of each step.
  • Step 3 – I monitor.  When a trainee performs a task I assist and correct.  It is important during this phase to be positive and encouraging.  It is important to have feedback and evaluations in order to grow.
  • Step 4 — I motivate.  The poet Thoreau said, "Nothing great ever happens in life without enthusiasm."  One must support, encourage, and motivate to help one to fully develop.
  • Step 5 – I multiply.  Once a leader does the job well, it becomes their turn to teach others how to do it.  Like the multiplication of the loaves and fishes there is more sharing and caring in working and growing together.