Saturday, September 18, 2010

Ordinary Time 25

“Children not only get their names, their food and clothing from their parents; they get their characters, their morals and their habits.”

-
Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen, 1895-1979

On Saturday, September 11, I had a Christian funeral Liturgy of Thanksgiving for Brigid "Marie" Burke who was born on January 29, 1912 and died in her own home on September 7 -- just shy of 99! When we went to our St. Joseph Cemetery after the Liturgy, her son John asked if her grandson Chad from Florida could offer a few words. I thought his sincere, humble, real and kind words were most memorable. He said:

I thank you Grandma, for walking me through the rain, ice and snow and holding on to my hand as you took me to St. Joseph School. I thank you for taking me to church and making sure I received the sacraments to help me along in my faith. I thank you for taking the time to say prayers with me that focused me on God in my daily life. I thank you for helping to raise me and teach me right from wrong. And even when my life would take a bad turn I know your steady, tender and compassionate ways would see me through. I thank you for teaching me the greatest lessons in life: to always be honest, truthful, respectful, appreciative and faithful.

As he extended his right hand over her casket in profound gratitude, the mourners were deeply touched and comforted through this gracious gesture of goodness. It was fitting that the Irish blessing was on her prayer card from the funeral home which read:

May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face. May the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand. Amen.

This Sunday, we celebrate Catechetical Sunday and I extend my generous thanks and prayers for all who serve the Church as catechists. I thank most especially all grandparents, Godparents and parents whose irreplaceable example is the foundation of later knowledge, virtue and holiness. I’m grateful for all my brother priests and deacons and all religious sisters whose dedication to the service of the Church has served as a banner of hope for others’ lives. I am grateful to our dedicated teachers here at St. Joseph Catholic School and to the catechists of our religious education and sacramental preparation programs -- for your loving faith, example, devotion and commitment. I pray that your own faith will be strengthened and increased by sharing it with others as we celebrate this year’s theme for Catechetical Sunday, “Marriage, Sacrament of Enduring Love."

My parents were married at St. George Church in Lisbon, OH on August 3, 1946 and Dad was called home to the Lord on February 8, 1986. My father was Presbyterian and attended First Presbyterian Church downtown near the former Gimbels on Sixth Street for fifty years. A month prior to his death he converted to the Catholic faith and asked for the pastor of St. Simon and Jude Church in Scott Twp., Fr. Thomas F. Carey, to hear his confession and anoint him. Dad wanted his death to unite the family, not divide it. I feel so deeply blessed and grateful to have such mentor and model parents along my faith journey. Dad would often remark that his grandfather was a religious man. A little over six years ago I placed Mom into the Little Sisters of the Poor Home on Benton Avenue in the North Side. I recall a question asked in the interviewing process, “What is your greatest accomplishment in life?” And Mom humbly and simply said, “Raising a family of seven children and teaching second graders to prepare for the Sacrament of Reconciliation and First Holy Communion for 27 years.” Faith examples make a big difference in one’s life and are never forgotten.

Catechist’s Prayer

Great Teacher, how can it be September already?
It seems just yesterday that my last class ended.
You know how busy and filled with rush my days are,
How often I run without remembering your nearness.
Keep me more faithful to those quiet times with you
And more alert to your presence amid my activities.

As I anticipate teaching another class this year,
There’s a part of me that’s fearful and anxious,
Doubting that I’ve faith enough to be the one to share it.
Take that doubt, Companion of Love, and change it.
Help me to see that I do believe, that my faith is deep,
If I but take the time to touch it with prayerful reflection.

There’s a part of me that’s uncertain and concerned,
Wondering if my hard work will be worth the effort.
How will I know if my ministry has made a difference?
Take this concern from my troubled heart, Peaceful One.
Help me to recognize that you never leave me.
It is your compassionate presence dwelling within me
That will call to young hearts and lead them home to you.
You will do so in a way that may never be known to me.

Divine Life-Giver, when I become tired and drained,
Be the energy and aliveness that I need.
Grant me the grace of enthusiasm,
So the love I have for you will shine through me.
Most of all, Sacred Echo of Happiness, be joy in me.
Do not let me give in to the demon of discouragement.
Rather, remind me often that I am your instrument,
Blessed with the gift of wanting to share my faith
And privileged to be in communion with your loved ones.

I need only to open my shaky heart to you.
I need only to surrender my spirit in trust.
I need only to cry out to you in prayer.
You will be there, you will hear my needs.
You will walk with me each step of the way,
Touching all those who are entrusted to my care.

- Sr. Joyce Rupp, "Out of the Ordinary"