Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Ordinary Time 28

“Let the dwelling-place of our hearts be cleansed from sin, and filled with virtue; closed to the devil and open to Christ.”

- St. Augustine

Although Thanksgiving is more than a month away, today’s readings speak of the importance of gratitude in one’s life. Gratitude is not just for a day or a moment, but it is a way of life. Gratitude is the mother of all virtues. Each day, each experience, each encounter, each moment of life, gratitude restores us to sanity when we find deep satisfaction and contentment with who we are and what we have been given. We should keep a gratitude journal in order to write down the blessings we receive from God each week. Perhaps we could examine our gifts as a spiritual exercise by asking the question, “How has God been laboring for me today?”

The more we appreciate life the more grateful we become in our walk of life. I thought I would share some thoughts of gratitude in my gratitude journal this week:

  • I am grateful to have gathered with my brother priests along with Bishop Zubik at Oglebay in Wheeling, WV from September 27-30. As one priest noted, coming to Oglebay is like being a kid on Christmas Day. It’s good to see, enjoy and give thanks for one another. The Bishop focused on three aspects that we must all share in seeing his vision for the Church Alive: Respect, Trust, and Dream.
  • I am happy to have viewed National Geographic photographer Dewitt-Jones’ inspirational video entitled, “Celebrate What’s Right with the World." I showed this video to the 5th-8th grade children in Healy Hall and used it for the Parish Pastoral Council and Bible Study on Monday night. Celebrating what’s right in the world gives us more energy, better perspective and higher vision. When one has a sense of passion and purpose, creativity is abundant. We must not only know our trade, profession, or subjects in life, but more importantly, God’s will and ourselves. We need to know ourselves — who I am — and be comfortable with this. We are called not to be the best in the world but the best for the world. We must transform the ordinary into extraordinary moments of possibilities. Whatever we are by trade, whether photographer, pharmacist, baker, nurse, electrician, doctor, it is the lens of our perspective which gives vision to each new day. It is important that we strive not so much to be a success but to make a significant difference. It is through discipline, grace and lack of ego that we help celebrate the best in the world.
  • I am grateful that on Monday, October 4, Feast of St. Francis of Assisi, patron of animals, God’s people and creatures came together for a special blessing of pets. After the prayer service each “participant” received a goodie: pet-treats for the cats and dogs and animal crackers for the humans!
  • I am grateful for our new Pastoral Parish Council members here at St. Joseph to implement Bishop Zubik’s “One Body, One Mission" -- Peggy Clayton, Elaine Crable, Gelsey Delpercio, Marisa Dinunno, Tim Fiedler, Anthony Grano, Tim Gregorius, Helen Manna, Ginny McCloskey, Irene Pendel, Dr. Dan Mangine and Jim Crable (staff liason).
  • I’m grateful that my brother Dan from Greensboro, NC will be coming to Pittsburgh to visit Mom and I with his two sons, Daniel Patrick (7) and Alex (4) on October 28.
  • I’m thankful for Joe Cala, his son Patsy, Jim Lisiak and Tom Valenty for constructing a new single garage on our carport (with the winter months upon us) and extending the garden in the front of the rectory. It is wonderful to see them work together.
  • I am grateful to the Monday night Bible Study people who come each week to open their hearts to God’s Living Word and share together in the rectory with desserts and coffee. This week there were five delicious pies and cakes brought—take nothing for granted!
  • I am grateful for my friend Fr. John Jordan who visits me every Tuesday on my day off. We have lunch together, sharing in friendship both our blessings as well as difficulties and challenges. I’m sure you’re getting to know Fr. John as he helps at a Mass each weekend. Thanks for your welcoming spirit for his presence with us.
  • I’m grateful that our staff comes together the first Thursday of each month to make sure we are bonding, blending and building God’s Church together as a Pastoral Care Team here at St. Joseph through the virtues of affectivity and effectivity.
  • I am grateful for those who video and post my homilies on YouTube and our web site.
  • I’m grateful to travel to Washington, DC on our diocesan pilgrimage to the National Shrine for Mass, prayer, reconciliation and a tour of the Basilica.
  • I’m grateful for the extra you give in the second collection whether for Mission Appeal, Catholic Charities, or school. I’m inspired by your tremendous generosity and support.
  • I am grateful that the Penguins are back for the beginning of their new season for their home opener with the Philadelphia Flyers on October 7!

When I reflect upon my gratitude journal in this one week, I find it impossible to be deficient in thankfulness. Today’s Gospel features the famous story of the ten lepers. All ten are healed yet only one renders thanks. Mom always taught us that every gift has a giver and we must return a word of thanks for the gift we have been given. I’m grateful for Sr. Melanie Svoboda, SND -- a great mentor and companion. She writes in "Traits of a Healthy Spirituality" the following:

THANK YOU, GOD. Thank you, God, for everything. Let me take nothing for granted. May I, like the lone leper in the gospel, have the sense to realize that I’ve been healed—and by you. Help me to see connections everywhere between gift and giver. May I trace all my blessings back to their ultimate source: you. Help me to realize it is not enough for me to fall at your feet and say my thanks to you. I must do my thanks too. I must use my gifts in the loving service of others. And finally, God, help me to be grateful for my entire life, for light and shadow, joy and sorrow, gain and loss, knowing full well that you are at work in the whole of my life. I thank you, God. How lucky I am to know: I’m very lucky! Amen.