Thursday, December 23, 2010

Holy Family

“Each and every one of us has one obligation, during the bewildered days of our pilgrimage here: the saving of his own soul, and secondarily and incidentally thereby effecting for good such other souls as come under our influence.”

—Kathleen Norris, (1880-1960)

Two weeks before Christmas, I got a “break in the action” from teaching the fourth grade at St. Joseph School since the children were practicing for their Christmas show. As the snow was falling outside my window, it set the mood for this holy season. I wish each and every one of you, near and far, family and friends, parishioners and visitors, a most Blessed Christmas! There were four beautiful Advent banners hanging in our church, representing the four weeks of Advent preparation. These banners perhaps offered the greatest "gifts‟ of the season: Love, Hope, Joy and Peace. My prayer for you in receiving this message is that these "gifts‟ will reign in our lives, families, communities, nation and world.

I have been serving here at St. Joseph Parish in Coraopolis, PA for two and a half years. There are 1,550 families in our parish. There are 3,500 members in our congregation. My Godmother, Aunt Jo, who turned 90 on the birthday of Mary, September 8, delights that I am at a parish after her namesake, St. Joseph, a Christmas saint! There is a statue of St. Joseph in each of the offices in our parish house. There is a candle in every window of our three-story rectory. The candle in the window is a symbol of welcome; all are welcome here to visit. There are 33 steps in 3 flights of stairs to get to my quarters in a house that was built over 100 years ago. I thoroughly enjoy the exercise! This home keeps me in shape.

Recently in speaking with my dentist, Dr. Andreas Mecs, who has served me for the past 36 years, I mentioned that I was having difficulty swallowing. He told me to take this seriously and got me an appointment with a gastroenterologist. After seeing this doctor, I was diagnosed with “Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease” (GERD) on All Saints Day, November 1. This diagnosis has changed my diet: no pop, chewing gum, citrus fruits and juices, spicy foods, fatty foods, tomato products, caffeine and chocolate. The headboard of my bed even had to be elevated four inches. These alterations in my diet have allowed me to make changes for the good. My Kitchen-Aid blender allows me to make smoothies each day. I'm eating a lot of salads now, a diet with high fiber, and even enjoy eating fish. The doctor noted that my vocal cords were inflamed as I was having difficulty in singing and saying the four weekend Masses. The doctor believes that the esophagus should heal in several months. I guess as you near fifty, taking a pill serves to evaporate your pride! I am grateful to have my voice and singing back, especially in my vocation as a messenger, herald and spokesperson for the Lord.

In almost a quarter century of serving the Lord as a priest, I am filled with profound gratitude and happiness to share the greatest love story the world has ever known, that of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Madeleine L'Engle once said, “There is nothing so secular that it cannot be sacred, and that is one of the deepest messages of the Incarnation.” As I review, reflect, relish and respond to the countless ways God has sanctified my journey, I am filled with wonder, novelty and surprise. Sometimes as humans we have an all-too-human tendency to over-emphasize the negative dimensions of our lives and downplay the positive events. Some highlights I rejoice in: My family coming here in Pittsburgh in July to celebrate Mom's 87th birthday; what joy to see my nieces and nephews on the "Splash-Blast‟ adjacent to the rectory. All the priests of the Diocese of Pittsburgh gathering for fraternity, support, education, prayer and friendship at Olgebay in Wheeling, WV, this past September 27-30. Seeing people drive to remote Coraopolis every Monday to read God's word through our Bible Study; I am inspired by their faith and devotion. A new "Destiny Home," the Consol Energy Center, for my favorite sport team, the Pittsburgh Penguins. "The Winter Classic," January 1, when our Pittsburgh Penguins will play the Washington Capitals on New Year‟s Day on Heinz Field here in Pittsburgh. Parishioners taping my Sunday homilies so that they can be put on our web site each week. The 500 e-mail companions whom I send weekly reflections... Only a small sampling of God‟s blessings!

My dear friend Fr. John Cercero, SJ, professor of Psychology at Fordham University, would often quote the words of the late Father General of the Society of Jesus, Fr. Pedro Arrupe: “Nothing is more practical than finding God; that is, falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide why you get out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love. Stay in love. And that will decide everything.” The bottom line of any vocation perhaps is best summed up in answering the question, “In what state of life can I love the most?”

After 22 ½ years in the priesthood I continue to believe and give thanks to God that the vocation to be a priest “makes a difference” in the world. It brings meaning and purpose in loving and serving God‟s family, the Church. Despite a highly scrutinizing and critical world, it is a "joy‟ to be a priest! (Joy is to possess Jesus; unhappiness is to lose Him.) I try to take my commitment seriously, but not take myself too seriously. I am amazed at the Lord‟s constant fidelity; God never lets me down. Despite when I stumble, or when I am too stubborn or when I am too self-absorbed to see His handiwork, God‟s grace, faithfulness and generous love find me.

I find this holiday time to be really to be “holy-times." Time together with family is really a special and sacred time. As we share stories, traditions, customs, memories, generations are blessed. May Christmas make us less selfish and more and self-less; less self-indulgent and more self-sacrificing; less self-centered and more self-transcendent. As we celebrate Christ's nativity, may we realize this is our greatest gift: Christ was born to save and love us forever! A Blessed Christmas!