Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Ordinary Time 3

“A strong vocation is based on being possessed by Christ. It means loving him with undivided attention and faithfulness through total selfsurrender through obedience.”

- Mother Teresa

Back from the "Sunshine State" of Florida!

It was wonderful to be away for studies. Don’t we all need "life-long" formation and education? This picture was taken in Naples, Florida, on a pier with fisherman casting their lines as the heavy rains came down. The rains, however, did not seem to deter the fishermen. I thought this image was quite fitting in returning home in preparation for the 3rd Sunday in Ordinary Time. It relates the story of two sets of brothers - Simon, who is also called Peter, and Andrew. Along with James and John, the sons of Zebedee, they were all casting their nets into the sea when Jesus called them immediately from their posts and said to them, “Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men” (Matthew 4:12-23).

In reflection, I am eternally grateful to God for the mysterious call and invitation that He has given me through my vocation of the priesthood. And in answering that call, I in turn help others answer His call in their lives. After almost 23 years of casting the "line into the waters," I have learned many lessons. Even through the ups and downs, the successes and the failures, the joys and the trials, God certainly purifies the minister. He challenges us to become holy and humble. We are called to be available, accountable and vulnerable.

Perhaps there are several stages of transformation in diving deeper in the spiritual life. The first step is human effort. Through the willingness to accept the invitation of Christ, we undertake the service of ministry and live in relationships that are "netted together" by Christ’s grace and love. In the second step, like all who have answered the call - whether Isaiah, Samuel, Peter, Andrew, James or John - we feel inadequate, unworthy, and unprepared. Inevitably, we experience failure, which may be real or apparent, private or public. Do we scold or affirm others? The third stage is the triumph of grace. One cannot predict it and one cannot demand it. Perhaps St. Paul’s formula offers the greatest source of strength for all of us when he writes, “When I am weak, then I am strong” (1 Cor 4:10). While at the Bethany Center in Lutz, Florida, I had the opportunity and privilege to speak with Bishop Robert Lynch who has served in the St. Petersburg Diocese since 1996. He told me that he himself was a "delayed vocation." It took a long time for him to answer God’s call.

After a fulfilling and renewing time together in the "Sunshine State," it was good to see sun, light, water, boats, fishermen, and various friends. I left Lutz and traveled to St. Petersburg to stay with Janet and Ken Cotton who will celebrate 50 years of marriage in June of 2011. This couple printed my ordination invitations in May of 1988. They are "snow birds" from my home parish of SS. Simon and Jude in Scott Twp. Their son, Eric, is a radiologist in Tampa and their daughter, Kristen, lives in Orlando. During the winter months they get to see their grandchildren. It looked like they spent days preparing for my arrival along with a priest friend of mine from Chicago, Fr. Gerry Rogala -- although I only stayed one day! I was intrigued that Janet had all the ingredients for my morning smoothies and even had a smoothie machine! By the way, in Florida, there is a place called, “Planet Smoothie.” (I am a smoothie fanatic now!) They wrapped enough goodies to send us south 137 miles to Estero, Florida. There, we visited Lynette and Kevin Powers, married on October 15, 1977, and parishioners in my first parish of Our Lady of Fatima in Hopewell Twp.

Thank God for the GPS System to keep us in line. When we arrived at the Powers’ home we were greeted with a large Steelers banner. Immediately I felt at home as the Steelers kick-off was just 4 hours away. They own three cats and I prayed to St. Francis the whole time I was there! The time spent at the Powers’ was a "football fest" in the clubhouse across the street from their home. My brother, Dan who lives in Greensboro, NC flew in to Pittsburgh to stay at the rectory and visited Mom while he was here. He attended the Steelers/Ravens exciting 31-24 victory last Saturday.

Last Sunday I attended Our Lady of Light Catholic Church served by the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales, and would you believe there were 1,100 people at the 8:30 AM Mass? (We only average 900 in all four Masses here at St. Joseph.) Let me tell you that my mouth was wide open and I was salivating! Above the altar were 12 lights for the twelve tribes of Israel in the Old Testament and another 12 lights for the apostles in the New Testament. We had a pregnant cantor who was due in early February singing the praise and the glory of God. As January 22nd marks the anniversary of Roe vs. Wade, (1973) and Monday is the March for Life in Washington, DC, it was a powerful witness and testimony of a tribute to Life, with a pregnant women standing and leading our congregation in song. The capacity of Our Lady of Light Church is 1,500 people. It was most inspiring to see the large number of people in ministries. I liked their Mission Statement which read, “We, the People of Our Lady of Light Catholic Community embrace the call to Live Jesus. As a Catholic Community, we strive to grow personally and with one another. Through prayer, worship, and faith formation, and acts of community service, we continue Jesus’ mission, guided by the Holy Spirit.” It calls us to be "people of light."

We then traveled 5.7 miles to Bonita Springs, FL to visit Chuck and Louise Muzik. Louise served as secretary for 35 years at St. Malachy Church in Kennedy Township. They have been married 54 years. While waiting in Southwest Florida International Airport in Ft. Myers, a lady came up to me and inquired, “Are you Fr. Rich who served at St. Thomas More in Bethel Park?” I said, “Yes, and now I’m happy to be heading home to St. Joseph Church in Coraopolis.”

As I was on the capacity-filled plane en route to Pittsburgh, I reflected on the three couples I stayed with while in Florida, whose years of marriage total 138. I was grateful for their generous hospitality, goodness and kindness shown as a visitor. I am happy that my brother, Dan and wife, Kelly, will fly in this Sunday to attend the Steelers/Jets game. Go Steelers!