Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Visit to the Bishop’s New Home

“Carry the Rosary with you everywhere, and it will carry you through anything.”

- Jason Evert


On Friday, April 29, I attended a get-together at Bishop Zubik‘s apartment at St. Paul‘s Seminary from 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM. Six times per year the Bishop extends an invitation to his brother priests to visit his home. The attire was casual and the event was an informal gathering with hors d‘oeuvres. The only real agenda was to take time for relaxation and the pleasant enjoyment of one another‘s company. It was a wonderful opportunity to strengthen the bonds of our priestly fraternity. As I meandered around his quarters, I saw his Episcopal motto, “Nothing is impossible with God,” everywhere (in case he might forget it)! I went into his private chapel and said a prayer. I thanked God that Bishop Zuibik, 12th Bishop of Pittsburgh, is so gung-ho for Jesus, zealous for His Gospel, humble as His servant, and joyful in all things. I then offered a prayer of gratitude that the Bishop sent me to serve this 120-year-old faith-filled community at St. Joseph in Coraopolis, an "old but good" treasure I have discovered here!

There were 23 priests in attendance that night in the Bishop‘s residence. It was good to exchange stories and get caught up with various brothers in this joyful time of Easter. And when I was ready to leave and say goodbye, Bishop Zubik offered to walk me to the door. At that point we had a tender and memorable exchange which reminded me of the two disciples on the road to Emmaus (which means "warm-wells" and is seven miles from Jerusalem). I thanked Bishop Zubik for his pastoral leadership and spiritual care of the Church in Pittsburgh and for breathing the life of the Holy Spirit of Love in so many revealing ways through his dynamic spirit. I thanked him for his passionate love of the Church and his earnest desire for the unity of Christians — always avoiding complaint, criticism, gossip and any form of negativity that threatens the unity of the Church. I thanked him for his humor and truthfulness, even when he is the butt of his own jokes. I thanked him for his honesty in asking forgiveness if he has ever hurt us along the way. I thanked him for his prayerful spirit at every gathering he attends, whether a funeral, dedication of a church or celebration of a sacrament; he always seeks to unify those present by calling them to quiet themselves, be still and make prayer an offering to God. This heightens the religious experience of the celebration and connects our hearts to God and one another.

I treasure that special evening of togetherness. I am grateful that the Bishop opens his home and heart with such gracious hospitality. Before embracing him and departing, I commented that I am grateful for my 23 years of service as a priest to the Church of Pittsburgh this month and for a sense of mission and willingness of evangelization renewed through his presence. I reiterated to the Bishop the promise of obedience, that I will go and serve wherever he sends me.

In reflecting on this experience, I could see how it strengthened the bonds of our oneness, that together, as Bishop and priest, we are one in carrying the dying and rising of Christ. We are one in believing in the Good News. We are one in our commitment to serve one another. We are one in our sacrifice to spur others to greater holiness. We are one in our struggles and sorrows. We are one in making the dream of Jesus‘ Kingdom to come alive. We are one in walking together as twenty-first century witnesses, as the first centuries were witnesses to the Resurrection. We are one in breaking open God‘s timely and timeless Word, inviting people to conversion. We are one in the Breaking of the Bread as table-mates of the Lord we hunger for the Bread that strengthens our discipleship. And we are one as we walk this Emmaus journey together in faith, hope and love.

Last Sunday dear friends of mine, Peggy and Jim Lisiak, celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary at Chartiers Country Club. One of the people at my table, former Judge of Hopewell Twp. Steve Mihalic, commented that he graduated from Ambridge High School with Bishop Zubik‘s mother Susan (Raskosky) Zubik in 1943. Judge Mihalic noted that Mrs. Zubik always had a smile on her face and faith flowed readily from her life. She died January 16, 2006. As we celebrate Mother's Day today on this second Sunday of May, we pause and give thanks to God for our special mothers and their life-giving vocation.

St. Theresa of Lisieux wrote, “The greatest masterpiece of God is the heart of a mother.” In the good and bad times of our lives, Mom‘s unconditional love and grace makes us feel secure, cherished and valued. A mother loves unconditionally, listens attentively, forgives easily, teaches wisely, suffers heroically, gives generously, forms patiently, prays unceasingly.

I am grateful to live nine miles away from my own mom (from the rectory of St. Joseph to the Little Sisters of the Poor Home on Benton Avenue on the North Side). It‘s my Emmaus excursion regularly to visit and just be with Mom. A special grace is conferred in her presence. Her simple room is filled with pictures and treasures of the family for which she spent her entire life. Just as the seasons of the year continue, so too, do the cycles of our life go on — birth and death, success and failure, sin and confession, joy and sorrow. However, in everything, the grace of God sees us through. I always treasure praying with Mom, especially now. Even with her Parkinson‘s Disease and dementia, she still clasps my hands and kisses them. She never wants me to leave her hand, her room or her home. I remind her that I love her and will always love her. Only God could bestow such a gift as my mom. Through the intercession of Mary, the Mother of God, may all mothers, and all women, be blessed and loved, today and always. Happy Mother's Day!

Holy Mother

Cradle us. Comfort us.
Nurture us. Teach us.
Protect us. Forgive us.
Counsel us. Celebrate us.
Sustain us. Love us.

- Fr. Edward Hays