Saturday, July 23, 2011

Ordinary Time 17

“Among all human pursuits, the pursuit of wisdom is more perfect, more noble, more useful and more full of joy.”

— St. Thomas Aquinas

On Friday, July 15, I attended the parish festival of Our Lady of Fatima in Hopewell Township. That was my first pastoral assignment 23 years ago. When I walked on the grounds, I met my first pastor, Fr. William Kohler. I remarked how great it was to see him and told him that he looks better than when I first met him 23 years ago. He said, “That’s what happens when you’re retired! The weight of the world and the pressure of being a pastor is no more.” Fr. Kohler is a classmate of the retired Bishop William J. Winter, and celebrates his 82nd birthday on Tuesday. He told me he doesn’t take a single pill and that his father died at age 99. As we were “kibitzin” it was good to reminisce and share stories of our ministry together. I always admired that Fr. Kohler completed the “Quick Crossword Puzzle” in the morning Post-Gazette and the more difficult New York Times crossword puzzle as well. I told him that’s what keeps the dendrites in his brain active, what keeps his mind so alert.

I remember Fr. Kohler as a quiet a man of solitude who loved to paint, who loved to read and who traveled more to Hawaii than anyone I know of. The parish named their former church “Kohler Hall” in his honor. His steady, silent and simple presence has guided Our Lady of Fatima for decades. In his unassuming way, Fr. Kohler has been a model to me and to his flock of one who has pursued the wisdom of God for many years. Happy Birthday, Fr. Kohler!

Sirach 1:1 tells us, “All wisdom comes from the Lord and with Him it remains forever.” Wisdom is the application of God’s Word to our daily life. It is sharing in the mind of God. The ultimate source of wisdom is God. In 1 Kings 3, the Lord appears to Solomon, the son of David, in a dream at night. God said, “Ask something of me and I will give it to you.” Solomon did not ask for longevity of life, the gold of riches or the life of his enemies. Instead, he begged God to have an understanding heart to judge God’s people and to distinguish right from wrong. Wisdom is the ability to discern what is of God and what is not, what is God’s way and not our way.

Dr. Robert J. Wicks, a psychologist at Loyola University in Baltimore and author of over 30 books, wrote a book entitled, "Sharing Wisdom: The Practical Art of Giving and Receiving Mentoring." He stressed our need to receive mentoring from parents, grandparents, teachers, family members, friends, clergy, co-workers — those who counsel, comfort, support and guide others. We need people we can trust both to love and challenge us. Mentors are chosen primarily because we respect them. God blesses our journey with wise people who show us the path of life by modeling it for us to grow in God’s ways. “My children, forget not my teaching, keep in mind my commands; for many days, and years of life and peace, will they bring you” (Proverbs 2: 1-2).

Wisdom-people bring us into the presence of God. The greatest wisdom-person of my life is my mother who turned 89 years old this week. We gathered at Mass at 11:00 AM to give thanks to God for Mom’s life and the 89 years of her shared wisdom. Mom taught us not only to read and pray but to love and suffer. I’m grateful for another wisdom-person, Sr. Melanie Svoboda, SND, who rummages through life finding its treasures and sharing them through stories and books. A great teacher, companion, mentor and friend. Another wisdom-person is Bishop Robert Morneau, auxiliary bishop of Green Bay, whose poetic heart and pastoral wisdom and road-map compasses have helped form and guide my discipleship. My youngest brother Dan (15 months younger), a dermatologist in Greensboro, NC who adopted three children, is also a wisdom-person in my life. Dan inspires me to strike a balance between work, leisure, fitness and spiritual pursuits. Another is Fr. John Jordan, a friend for almost 20 years, with whom I spend my day off on Tuesday. At age 65, Fr. John imparts countless pearls of wisdom through prudence, pastoral theology and the wisdom gained through practical experience. I always found St. Francis of Assisi to be a wisdom-spiritual director behind the scenes of my life — a model of renouncing the world, embracing simplicity, humility and poverty of spirit. Although I could not become a Franciscan, I take wisdom from this great saint. I once heard it said to make life worthwhile, one needs a conscience to live with, a creed to live by, a cause to believe in, a love to care for and a dream to strive for.

It was three years ago on July 28, 2008 that I came to serve here at St. Joseph, and I pray daily for the gift of God’s wisdom to lead His people to lives of integrity, authenticity, sacrifice and service of one another. I feel blessed to be your servant in the 120th year of St. Joseph’s existence. The parable of the lost treasure and pearl demonstrate the zeal we must have to pursue the wisdom of the kingdom of God.

Your word, O Lord is wisdom,
Deeper than the sea,
Wider than the heavens.
It reveals to us the mysteries of the Kingdom.
Give us, Lord your wisdom, your Son Jesus.
Your word, O Lord, is a treasure,
More desirable than the gold of the world,
More precious than life.
It enriches our hearts.
Give us, Lord this treasure, your Son Jesus.
Your word, O Lord is a pearl of infinite beauty,
Brighter than the stars,
More radiant than the sun.
It dazzles the eyes of our heart.
Give us, Lord, this pearl, your Son Jesus.
Your word, O Lord, is new and ancient,
Newer than the dawn of the day,
More ancient than the first day of the world.
Give us, Lord, your eternity, your Son, Jesus.
Engrave on our hearts, Lord God,
The face of your Son Jesus.
When your word calls to us on the day of your love,
Recognize in us the face of Jesus,
Your firstborn Son and our brother. Amen.

—Lucien Deiss, CSSp, A Garden of Prayers