Saturday, September 3, 2011

Leisure is for Everyone

“O God, early in the morning I cry to you. Help me to pray. In me there is darkness, but with You there is light; I am feeble in heart, but with You there is help; I am restless, but with You there is peace. In me there is bitterness, but with You there is patience; I do not understand Your ways, but You know the way for me. Restore me to liberty. Amen.”

— Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Lutheran Theologian (1906-1949)

Last Sunday, our visiting Franciscan missionary, Fr. Carl Vacek, who spoke about the second poorest country in South America, Paraguay, encouraged me to take time for leisure. He said, “Enjoy a free Sunday on me,” and celebrated the three Masses for the day. Taking him up on his offer, I headed out for the Montour Trail and ran 12 miles. Throughout the run I came across groups of women out for their Sunday run, many bicyclists and those walking their dogs. It gave me time to enjoy something I love to do. Every life needs time for leisure. Even on the spiritual trail, we need time to rest, re-create, restore, refresh and re-energize.

During this run I thought of the 53 couples that came to St. Joseph for Pre-Cana on Saturday and how their lives would unfold. Our day of reflection culminated at the Lord's Table at the 4:00 PM Mass which I offered. (I told the congregation that one couple I married presented me with a gift at their reception. Though I was embarrassed, they insisted that I open it in front of their guests. It was a crucifix. I thought to myself, “Don’t they think as a priest I have enough crosses?” But inside was a note explaining, “As you gave your life as a priest in sacrifice for God’s people, may we give our lives in sacrifice for one another and our family.”)

I also prayed during this run for the over 65 million Americans affected by Hurricane Irene that weekend. I prayed for the nine people whose funerals I celebrated the last two weeks. I was thinking of the twin sisters I would baptize that afternoon, Leah and Hannah Buettner, and what life would be like walking with a companion who mirrors oneself. I found myself praying for the Franciscans in South America in Paraguay who provide food, education, catechesis and the sacraments for the underprivileged in their care. I thought of our students and teachers as they begin a new year. And I prayed for a cyclist on the trail as the flashing ambulance and paramedics tended to his injuries after a fall. And I thanked God for the visiting priest who lightened my load that day. After showering up, I prayed the Divine Office and said my personal prayers and turned on the music channel to the inspirational Soundscapes for quiet meditation and reflection. This leisure-Sunday afforded me the extended time and inner space to be recollected and serene. What a gift it was to experience this "reflective Sunday."

On this 23rd Sunday in Ordinary Time, Jesus says in Matthew 18:20, “...where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” Jesus tells us where two or three are gathered together in His name, there is His power and presence. A friend of mine, Msgr. Andy Cusack, would often jokingly interpret this passage of scripture by saying, “Where two or three are gathered in my name, there are conflicts. There are differences. There are problems.” As a Christian community we are certainly not a sinless community. But to be reconciled with God, with ourselves, with the Church and with one another is a true miracle of grace and love. I'm inspired by how many take seriously the sacrament of reconciliation.

Jesus reminds us today that if we are at odds with anyone, we must be real enough to address the conflict to diffuse it's deadly power to estrange or alienate one from another. Sin by its nature brings sadness, separation, division, destruction and spiritual death. Grace, however, brings healing, unity, hope, peace, joy and forgiveness.

I received a new book this week from Bishop Bob Morneau entitled "A Splash of Sunshine and other Glimpses of Grace" -- his 42nd book! He quotes John Adams, second president of the United States who wrote, “You will never be alone with a poet in your pocket. You will never have an idle hour.” May the following words of another poet, yet very busy man, anoint you as you seek integration and peace each new day.

Prayer to Achieve Inner Peace

Slow me down, Lord.
Ease the pounding of my heart
by the quieting of my mind.
Steady my hurried pace
with a vision of the eternal reach of time.
Give me, amid the confusion of the day,
the calmness of the everlasting hills.
Break the tensions of my nerves and muscles
with the soothing music of the singing streams
that live in my memory.

Help me to know
the magical, restoring power of sleep.
Teach me the art of taking minute vacations—
of slowing down to look at a flower,
to chat with a friend,
to pat a dog,
to read a few lines from a good book.

Remind me each day of the fable
of the hare and the tortoise,
that I may know
that the race is not always to the swift—
that there is more to life
than increasing its speed.
Let me look upward
into the branches of the towering oak
and know that it grew great and strong
because it grew slowly and well.

Slow me down, Lord,
and inspire me to send my roots deep
into the soil of life‟s enduring values
that I may grow toward the stars
of my greater destiny.

- Attributed to Cardinal Richard Cushing (1895-1968)