Friday, March 9, 2012

Cleaning House at 50

In the fall of 1980, I entered Duquesne University as a freshman. My first class on my first day in college was entitled “Introduction to Philosophy” taught by Dr. Charles D. Keyes, an Anglican priest. The classroom was filled to capacity as students filed in for this course. Dr. Keyes was a dynamic and entertaining professor. After going from being a big shot in high school to a fearful freshmen in college, I remember being apprehensive about this new chapter in my life. I also remember reading the likes of Socrates, (470-399 B.C.), Aristotle (384-322 B.C.) and Plato (427-374 B.C.), and finding that these sage teachers believed wisdom came at age 50. I thought to myself then, “Who can wait so long for wisdom! It’s too far off!”

But lo and behold, I find myself now celebrating half a century of life, with five decades over the dam, and I feel blessed to reach this milestone today in my life. Maybe those wise, ancient philosophers were right after all. Wisdom comes with age, through life’s changes and challenges. Youth was filled with idealism, perfectionism, naiveté, narcissism, grandiosity, invincibility, vain glory and restlessness. But as one grows, one is challenged to shed these false selves and emerge to a new level of adaptability, authenticity, self-knowledge and acceptance of one’s virtues as well as vices. Through life’s harsh lessons, I feel I was given an “ivy league education” in reality. I have learned that God does not make junk. He seeks to mold and fashion us throughout our lives into his image and likeness, making us ever more aware that His grace supplies for our human futility and sinfulness. As I come to this point of this journey in life, I feel blessed and contented with who I am and not who I think I should be. After a half of century of living, and almost a quarter of century in the priesthood, I see that change is a necessary part of growth, holiness and maturity. At 50, the lens I see life through is certainly different from the rose colored glasses of my youth. I seek to strive for self-acceptance, self-knowledge, self-sacrifice, self-possession and self-transcendence.

I once read a quote which read, “Your task is to build a better world —God.” I thought, "How? The world is such a large, vast place, so complicated, and I, so small and useless. There is nothing I can do." But God in His great wisdom taught me: “Just build a better you.” Every day is a blessing to behold and gives an opportunity to be our best self.

Pope Gregory the Great said, “No sacrifice is more acceptable to God than zeal for souls.” On this Third Sunday of Lent we hear the story of the cleansing of the temple in Jerusalem. Here we do not find a mild and easy-going prophet but one who is upset and angry and who decides to clean house, as the commercial interest and greed of the vendors took precedence over the observance of prayer for the sacred feast of Passover. At Passover time Jerusalem was a magnet, overflowing with people from around the globe coming to worship God. The artist Michelangelo offers a vivid picture of the cleansing of the temple. Lent is a time of spiritual cleansing. Whether God dwells in buildings or human being’s hearts, they are to be holy places. Evil upsets Jesus, and rightfully so, as Jesus’ angry reaction says, “Zeal for your house will consume me” (Psalm 69). Zeal is a gift of the Holy Spirit. In Greek it means “intense heat.” Zeal means to have eagerness, passion and enthusiasm. Zeal means ardor, intensity and diligence. Zeal connotes having fire, spirit and power. Zeal means having energy, ambition and drive to whole-heartedness. Zeal’s opposite is dullness, boredom, apathy, complacency, laziness or disinterest.

During Lent God breaks through our indifference with a burning desire to destroy the things that clutter our hearts and minds. Addictions, bad habits, and secret sins can easily choke the life of the spirit. Anger, pride, greed, lust, jealousy and unforgiveness can destroy the sanctuary and temple of God within us. Jesus has great zeal for the salvation of everyone. May we have a zeal for holiness, spiritual growth and maturity this holy season. St. Lucy said, “Those whose hearts are pure are the temples of the Holy Spirit.” What better way to clean the temples of our heart than with a good, humble, honest and sincere Lenten confession. A lot of debris through our lives can get in the way of our zeal for faith, prayer and service to others. Saint Paul (1 Corinthians 6: 19-20) bluntly says, “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been purchased at a price. Therefore, glorify God in your body.” Together we are the living stones, the Church, the Body of Christ.

On Monday, March 12, at the David Lawrence Convention Center in Pittsburgh, Dan Bylsma, Head Coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins, and his star goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, will be honored as Co-Sportsman of the Year at the 76th Annual Dapper Dan Dinner and Sports Auction. It is their positive enthusiasm, passion and zeal for the game, the teammates and for the organization to work towards its ultimate goal to win the fourth Stanley Cup in Pittsburgh.

1962, the year of my birth, was also a very historic time in the life of the Church as Vatican Council II, the 21st Ecumenical Council of the Church, was convened by Pope John XXIII. It is easy for me to remember this date! Pope Benedict XVI has designated this 50th anniversary of this Council the “Year of Faith.” I am most grateful to God for the gift of my parents and the great gift of faith they shared with their seven children and which continues in their grandchildren. A birthday causes me to remember, reflect and rejoice in the knowledge that a life filled with love and service for the Lord and others is a fulfilling life.

A Birthday Prayer

Thank You, Lord, for one more year! I’ve done the best I could.
And You’ve been right beside me like You always said You would.
I’ve seen You in the beauty of the skies, the trees, the birds.
I’ve heard You speak through caring friends & Scriptures’ treasured words.
I’ve felt Your awesome power in the face of doubt and grief
To shape my understanding and to deepen my belief.
My soul has saved up everything this year of life has taught me,
Your gifts of hope and wonder and the joy Your Love has brought me.
Whatever comes, I’m confident You’ll guide me gently through
This precious earthly part of my eternal life with You.