Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Cup of Life Outpoured

“Without the Holy Eucharist, there would be no happiness in this world, and life wouldn’t be bearable.”

— St. John Mary Vianney

If you’re an early riser, maybe you caught the Mass at 6:00 AM on PCNC Sunday morning, which I celebrated for today’s Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ (Corpus Christi). I’m grateful to the lectors, servers, and Ginny Ambrose and the choir from our parish who assisted me for this celebration, and especially for the shut-ins who tuned in to watch. I spoke in my homily during the broadcast about how grateful I was that while in the hospital I was able to view this Mass when I was sick.

While in the hospital, I knew as the sun was coming up in the morning, inevitably the phlebotomist would come in to draw my blood each day. She mentioned that so very much is known about a person by their blood — their heart rate, their blood pressure, iron levels, oxygen, hormonal imbalances, cholesterol, white blood cell and red blood cell counts, disease… all can be known through this fluid which is the life support of the body. Even before surgery you have to have blood drawn so that an ample supply of your type can be on hand for use during the procedure.

Blood carries the very “stuff” of life. When one hemorrhages, or there is a loss of blood through an accident, life goes out. In reminding us that the function of blood is as a carrier of nutrients of our complex immune systems, modern hematology enhances our understanding of blood as the very “stuff” of life.

Blood is also the sign of life. The ancient Israelites saw blood as the ratification of the covenant with God. As Moses splashed the blood of animals on the altar, he represented God walking through their midst, and as he sprinkled the people, he represented the people becoming a sacred nation consecrated to the Lord. The sprinkling of blood of animals was a promised relationship between God and the people — a sharing of life, divine and human. On the Day of Atonement, the High Priest entered the Holy of Holies to sprinkle blood as a reminder that all life belongs to God. The significance of blood finds it perfection in Jesus’ sacrifice, as in the book of Hebrews we are reminded that Christ entered the heavenly sanctuary not with the blood of animals but with His own Blood that brought about our redemption providing cleansing from sin and access to God. Jesus on the night before He died said those sacred words, “This is my Blood of the Covenant which will be shed for many.”

At the Mass on television I held up my wooden chalice that I have used for twenty-four years since my ordination. I chose wood to remind me of the sacrifice of the Cross that Christ poured out in love to save us. And I mentioned in my reflection what a humble and sacred privilege it is to celebrate for God’s people the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. I pray that I may celebrate every Mass as if it were my first Mass, my last Mass and my only Mass. This wondrous feast of Corpus Christi makes us reflect on God’s inestimable gift of the Eucharist and pray that we always receive the Eucharist frequently, reverently, prayerfully and worthily. Jesus’ shedding of the blood is our “paschal” or “passing over” of death. In the history of salvation God uses death to bring new life. So while the broken Body and shed Blood of Christ commemorates His death, it also celebrates His gift of life. Jesus’ sacrifice becomes a gift. His defeat becomes our victory. His weakness is our strength. His brokenness is our healing. His Eucharist is our blessing.

In three weeks, Bishop Zubik will ordain three men as priests for our diocese: Kevin Fazio, Frederick Gruber, Michael Sedor. In that most ancient rite the priest kneels down before the bishop and receives a paten with hosts on it and a chalice for the celebration of the Mass. As the new priest kneels there the bishop then says, “Accept from the holy people of God the gifts to be offered to Him. Know what you are doing, and imitate the mystery you celebrate; model your life on the mystery of the Lord’s cross.” I pray that I will always hunger to celebrate this Sacrament that I have been ordained to offer for the holy People of God. How privileged, how honored we Catholics are to be invited to Jesus’ Supper, to receive His Body and Blood, to renew His dying and rising from the dead, in order to save us and lead us to eternal glory. Yet it’s all too easy for us to take the Eucharist for granted, the Mass for granted, and think, “Same old hymns, same old sermon, same old prayers, same old people, ho hum.” Today’s celebration and every celebration of the Body and Blood of Christ are our wake-up calls to realize just what a mind-boggling, soul stirring, heart throbbing, spirit raising gift we are given in every Mass, time after time. Let’s not talk about our “Sunday obligation” — let’s talk about our “Sunday Privilege!” Thank You Jesus! Thank You Jesus! Praise the Lord!

There are beautiful prayers in the Roman Missal that a priest can offer in preparation for Mass and thanksgiving after Mass. I’d like to share one with you by St. Thomas Aquinas on this special feast of Corpus Christi:

Almighty Eternal God, behold, I come to this Sacrament of Your only Begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, as one sick to the Physician of Life, as one unclean to the Fountain of Mercy, as one blind to the Light of Eternal Brightness, as one poor to the Lord of Heaven and Earth. I ask, therefore, for the abundance of Your immense generosity, that You may graciously cure my sickness, wash away my defilement, give light to my blindness, enrich my poverty, clothe my nakedness, so that I may receive the Bread of Angels, the King of kings and Lord of lords, with such reverence and humility, such contrition and devotion, such purity and faith, such purpose and intention, as are conducive to the salvation of my soul.

Grant, I pray, that I may receive not only this Sacrament of the Lord’s Body and Blood, but also the reality and power of that Sacrament.

Oh most Gentle God, grant that I may so receive the Body of Your only Begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, which took from the Virgin Mary, that I may be worthy to be incorporated into His Mystical Body and to be counted among its members.

Oh Most Loving Father, grant that I may at last gaze forever upon the unveiled Face of Your Beloved Son, whom I a wayfarer propose to receive now, veiled under these species; Who lives and reigns with You forever and ever. Amen.