Friday, February 4, 2011

Ordinary Time 5

“We are surrounded by a great crowd of witnesses. Let us rid ourselves of every burden and sin while keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the leader and perfector of our faith.”

- Hebrews 12: 1-2

The stage is set, the lights are on, the crowds are gathered and America's greatest single sports event takes center stage in Arlington, TX as our Pittsburgh Steelers vs. the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV. The Steelers are on quest to win their seventh Vince Lombardi trophy (1975, 1976, 1979, 1980, 2006, 2009) and the Green Bay Packers look to covet their fourth (1967, 1968 and 1997).

I sent a letter to my long-time friend, the Auxiliary Bishop and Vicar General of Green Bay, Robert F. Morneau, a popular speaker nationwide who has served as bishop since February 22, 1979. He is a regular columnist for their diocesan paper, "The Compass." Bishop Bob has written over 20 books. He is an avid golfer. He is a mystical poet. He is a dynamic preacher. He is the pastor of Resurrection Parish in Green Bay. He may also be the number one Green Bay Packers fan in the nation. We have a running bet: if the Pittsburgh Steelers are victorious over the Packers, Bishop Bob has to come in June of 2013 to preach my 25th Silver Anniversary in the priesthood, all expenses paid; and if his Green Bay Packers win, I will "settle‟ for the second heart of the city of Green Bay, our present 12th Bishop of Pittsburgh, David A. Zubik. Either way it‟s a "win-win‟ situation.

I first met Bishop Bob at Retreats International in South Bend, IN, while attending summer school at Notre Dame University in July, 1989. I recall him telling us that his life-long ambition was to be a starting wide receiver for the Green Bay Packers. However, since his mother was under 5' and his dad was less than 5'5", they genetically deprived him of his life‟s destiny. However, God had a different "game plan‟ and at age 38 he was called to serve as a bishop. He was young of age but held ageless wisdom.

I was so captivated and mesmerized by his oratorical style and the way poems rippled off his lips like waves over the ocean. He went for the heart through the cable of his attention-grabbing presentations. After his first lecture I thought to myself, “I gotta meet this guy!” We had lunch down at “The Huddle” in Notre Dame's cafeteria and we shared time and sandwiches together. I never imagined then how much light he would bring into my life. His voluminous writings on the spiritual life and journey have been like street lights guiding my way-faring heart, which seeks Christ the True Light of the World. This man whose dad was a dairy farmer has taught me invaluable lessons that have graced my journey. All through the years we have remained friends, and I have tried to take as many of the courses, classes, retreats and books of this “little giant” as possible. I have shared his teachings, books and writings with all the people entrusted to my care and I always tell everyone about this wisdom-person.

In one of his courses which I took in July of 1989, I remember him speaking on five universal experiences that every person is called to embrace: 1) the art of listening, 2) the art of loving, 3) the art of struggling, 4) the art of forgiving, 5) the art of hoping. He is a master of the virtuous life. He believes that pathways to God are through faith, hope and charity (the theological virtues). Pathways to community come through prudence, justice, fortitude and temperance (the moral virtues). And pathways to relationships come through simplicity, gentleness, humility and friendship. Bishop Bob always wears the lens of faith-glasses in seeing all of life. He sees Light, Life and Love despite a world racked with Darkness, Death and Evil. Recently we used "Together in the Spirit" with our confirmation candidates to be confirmed on Sunday, February 20 at the Noon Mass. This book was co-authored by Bishop Bob and Deacon Mike Grzeca.

In his book, the "Color of Gratitude and other Spiritual Surprises", he has two poems I thought would be appropriate for Pittsburgh and Green Bay weather.

Cruise Advice

The advice came from Texas,
the Lone Star State,
not known for abundant snow,
ice storms quite sporadic:
“Shut off the cruise control
when driving in snow, on ice.”
Wisconsin-born, I already had this knowledge.
In inclement weather, don‟t give control to technology.
And life‟s journey?
Existence on cruise control
works fine when all is well.
But on dark days, shut it off
and take each overpass and curve with care.

All through the years I have kept his notes; and I even have a shelf in my office set apart for his magnificent works. As a resident of the “Keystone State” I couldn't be happier in all the world to have a friend like him from the “Badger State." I consider this “Northern Star” a light always burning always with Christ. His passion, his persistency and his perspectives always raise the bar to a new standard to live Christ more fully. Bishop Bob has been Christ's “light and salt” for my journey -- a blessed friend indeed.

The February Sun

Sitting in my rocker facing east,
I suddenly saw the February sun burst through the blinds,
race across the room
filling my face with light.
I squinted, the sunshine too much,
and as I did so,
a hundred rays danced in all directions.
I rode one back across the room,
out the window,
and across millions of miles of space.
I almost reached the sun
but it had moved slightly to the south.
So, I headed home,
as quickly as I had gone,
exhausted but exhilarated by this moment of grace.