Friday, February 11, 2011

Ordinary Time 6

“My father always wanted to be the corpse at every funeral, the bride at every wedding and the baby at every Christening.”

- Alice Roosevelt Longworth

I write these words on Tuesday, February 8, the 25th anniversary of the death of my father, David William Jones. I was happy that the Mass intention was from my family in thanksgiving to God for his life and fatherhood. My parents were married at St. George's Church in Lisbon, OH on August 3, 1946. Dad was Presbyterian and he loved to say that it was two faiths but one love. The last gift Dad gave me was to send me to Rome in January, 1986, for the consecration of then-Bishop Donald W. Wuerl.

As we celebrate Valentine's Day this Monday, February 14, we naturally remember those who have shaped us through the greatest power in the universe — love. I can't help but to think of my Dad, who was such a force in my life. For Dad, reading the Bible was of paramount importance, just as much as eating a family meal was foremost each night. That deep desire is still in me to read God's Holy Word in Sacred Scripture. The following are verses that spoke to me in meditation on this 25th anniversary of Dad's passage from earthly life to eternal glory. I thought I'd share them with you:

1. “Do not give into bodily passions, which are always at war against the soul.” 1 Pet. 2:11
2. “Your beauty should consist of your true inner self, the ageless beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is the greatest value in God's eyes.” 1 Pet. 3:4
3. “From now on, then, you must love the rest of your earthly lives controlled by God's will and not by human desires.” 1 Pet. 4:2
4. “Above everything, love one another earnestly, because love covers over many sins.” 1 Pet. 4:8
5. “Greet one another with a kiss of Christian love.” 1 Pet 5:14

Since 1970 at Three Rivers Stadium, Dad was a long-time Steeler season ticket holder. When Heinz Field was built in 2001, my youngest brother, Dan, purchased a personal seat license (even though he‟'s from Greensboro, NC) to keep this family tradition of being a Steeler season ticket holder. Guess what! Dan was one of the 103,219 in Irving, TX, to attend Super Bowl XLV of the Green Bay Packers 31-25 victory over our Pittsburgh Steelers. It was remarkable that 111 million viewers watched the Super Bowl on TV. Luckily Dan's seats were in the second row behind the goal post where the Steelers entered the stadium. Flying into Houston and staying the night in Corsicana (approximately 45 minutes from the stadium) wasn't ideal, but Dan was happy to be with his 7-year-old son Daniel Patrick, who wanted me to look for him in the stadium while he was wearing his #7 Steeler jersey. Despite the long trip in a short time, and the unfavorable result of the outcome of the game, my brother asked his son, “Would you do this again?” And he enthusiastically responded, “Oh yeah, Dad! And when I become a Dad I'll be sure to take my son to the game!” These simple and invaluable lessons are life‟s treasures. The time together of a father and son is time well spent. Despite wins or losses, it is a moment of love.

On Monday morning it was a dark and frowning day for most Pitsburghers, but I had the joy of writing a note to my dear friend, Bob Morneau, Auxiliary Bishop of Green Bay, to congratulate his team and city for their flawless victory. I mentioned to him that the Packers' quarterback, Aaron Rodgers, the MVP winner of Super Bowl XLV, threaded the eye of a needle with the greatest perfection. I congratulated Bishop Bob for threading the eye of needle of his vocation as he celebrates 32 years this February as Auxiliary Bishop in Green Bay. Somehow there was light in the darkness on Monday, knowing my friend's joy, and in that there is love.

Aren't life's defeats humble teachers of tomorrow's challenges? Getting to the Super Bowl is wonderful for any city. How blessed we have been. A priest friend from Chicago called and left a message on Monday saying, “I offer you my condolences on the Steeler loss. But I believe they'll get there next year.” Life's struggles, losses and defeats, like Christ's, can turn into successes and victories as we grow through the pains, sorrows and agonies.

On Saturday, February 12, I was invited at a 100th birthday party in honor of Barbara Dorish at St. Malachy's. One doesn't get invited too often to such century-celebrations! Her daily Mass presence was constant all throughout the years. Happy 100th Birthday, Mrs. Dorish! (Count a hundred blessings!) A hundred year's birthday is a celebration of love. On February 12, I will also witness the renewal of marriage vows of Elizabeth and Richard Betsch on their 50th wedding anniversary here at St. Joseph's. Congratulations on such a milestone! Recently I was talking with another couple who are celebrating their 50th anniversary this year, and the woman remarked that she knows all the virtues and good points of her husband, and just a few of his weaknesses. She said she could not get anyone better but Jesus Himself!

On this 6th Sunday of Ordinary Time, our readings stress the importance of yielding to God's wisdom, way and will by following God's commandments and trusting in Him. God loves us so much that he graciously gives us the free will to make the choices for life in all situations we face. As the British theologian Michael Green puts it, “The law is not the limit of obedience; it is to be seen the springboard for a lifetime of devotion to Jesus and His Father. It is the curbstone along the road of love.” Jesus came to fulfill and complete what the law and the prophets taught, not to abolish it. For Jesus, interior conversion, and not mere exterior observance, should be the guiding force behind all our words, thoughts and actions. Not to choose God's way abuses our true freedom. Perhaps with the Psalmist David, this Valentine‟s Day, we could pray, “Create in me a clean heart, O God” (Psalm 51: 10).

May our hearts be pure, faithful, true, honest, holy and loving. Lovers of God, love others!