Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lent 1

“Jesus...is my center, my meaning, my reason for living, my supreme good, my purpose in life, my joy, my glory, my law, my leader, my savior, the one to Whom I belong.”

— Fr. Raniero Cantalamessa, OFM

Last Thursday, March 3, at the Children’s Mass which was broadcasted at 5:15 PM on 106.7 FM WAOB (We Are One Body), I shared this story of 4-year-old George who was so excited about going to pre-school, that in haste, he jumped out of bed and headed straight for the bathroom. However, he missed the doorway and ran smack into the wall. His Grandmother, who heard the crash, yelled out, “George, George, are you alright?” “I’m okay,” he replied slowly, it’s just I guess I have too much dark in my eyes.”

As we begin our Lenten journey, 2011, let us take a look at the dark in our own eyes, our sinful and self-centered ways: being wrapped up in our own agendas, obsessed by status, controlled by power, weighed down by burdens, shackled by inner compulsions, veiled by hidden blemishes, halted by spiritual laziness, and haunted by destructive demons. Pope Benedict XVI said that Lent is a time for self examination and to let go of all the traces of selfishness, which is the root cause of violence. He noted that we must move from “selfishness” to “selflessness." Narcissism is a condition of self-absorption and can affect a person at any age — a spoiled child, a petulant teenager, egotistical co-worker, stubborn spouse, or an unfaithful companion. The evil strains of egotism, infidelity and hostility lead to moodiness, laziness and self-indulgence. The most insidious form of deception is self-deception—we must be as honest with ourselves, questioning our motives and examining our feelings.

On this First Sunday of Lent, traditionally called "Temptation Sunday," Jesus goes "face-to-face" with the devil in the desert, 40 days and 40 nights. Jesus is well aware that pleasures, powers and possessions are the three great illusions that can torpedo the human condition and bring it to the degradation of smithereens. We, too, must confront our own temptations. We all struggle against the world, the flesh and the devil. We face this primordial 3-faceted struggle our entire life-journey until we cross over into eternity. Don’t forget the enemy comes to steal, to kill and to destroy (John 10).

Lent is a time of Spring cleaning, spiritual renovation, a time to come face to face with our own disordered humanity. Perhaps we need to empty ourselves of our wants, desires and passions in order to align ourselves with Christ who truly knows and loves us. The allurements of the world, the temptations of our culture, the demands of our needy self and the distortions of the devil can lead us to "spiritual bankruptcy." Real freedom and real life are not gained by following the pull of the tug of war of our lusts and drives but in resisting them. When Christ calls a person it is costly. He calls us to come to die to oneself. The word “mortification” is rooted in Latin, French and Old English words denoting “deadening” or “subduing." Mortification is essential for selftranscendence.

It is only through self-denial, self-control and self-mastery that one’s true self emerges, not the false or illusional shadow-self. If we satisfy our appetites, passions and lusts by indulging them, they become our masters and we lose the monitoring of internal controls, which spells spiritual disaster and death.

Lent is a time to turn it around 360 degrees. It’s never too late for God to invigorate and revitalize a person, a relationship, a church, the world. Despite our difficulties, weaknesses, disappointments -- in ourselves and others -- it’s amazing that God, through His grace, hides in the depths of it all. In the words of the twentieth century political and religious leader Mahatma Gandhi, “My imperfections and failures are as much as a blessing from God as my successes and talents, and I lay them both at His feet.” Lent is a time to discover the "golden image" we have been created in. That precious image can be tarred, marred and scarred through one’s own sin and that of others. Perhaps read Psalm 51, a story of David’s sin and repentance, and meditate on it. It is the hallmark and chartered chapter of Israel’s "fallen king and hero," humbled, contrite and repentant, God’s grace is the healing remedy to his wandering waywardness.

Saints were certainly in touch with their sin and brokenness. Sin is not a pretty or popular subject, however sin is pervasive always and everywhere and in everyone. St. Augustine famously said, “Love the sinner, hate the sin.” Jesus died to save sinners, so much does He love them. We cannot save ourselves. We are not saved by technology. We are not saved by self-help therapy. We are not saved by academic brilliance. We are not saved by robust stock portfolios. We are not saved by a perfect 10 bodily appearance. We are not saved by drowning out life’s difficulties through self-medication. Instead, our faith reminds us this Lent that drawing closer to Jesus heals, frees and saves us. He alone can save us and free us from our sins. May we all keep our "eyes on the prize" -- Jesus our Savior. May we grow in holiness, prayer, reconciliation, grace, charity and self-renunciation this Lent. Lent is a time of alms-giving. The goal is $375 per family for Parish Share 2011. That is equal to $1 per day, and $10 extra to have a Mass offered for a loved one. That’s $375.

Calm my restless spirit, my terrified soul.
Lead me to that haven where I may behold
your beauty, peace, joy, hid behind the veil of tears.

Restore my peace of mind, heal my fearful heart.
Take me to that lonely, quiet place apart.
There my soul will find rest in the shadows of the night.

Revive my drooping spirit, my downcast will.
Pour Your soothing oil over my wounds until
death has lost its hold on me and new life enters in.

Then will my soul rejoice -- my spirit sing praise.
To You will I make music throughout my days.
For now You are, Comforter, Healer, Savior, Father.

— Sr. Kathryn J. Hermes, FSP
"Making Peace with Yourself: 15 Steps to Spiritual Healing"