Friday, June 24, 2011

Corpus Christi

“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon and the truth.”

- Siddharta Gautana Buddha (Founder of Buddhism, 6-4 Century BC)

Today we celebrate the Solemnity of the Body and Blood of Christ, “Corpus Christi,” a Sunday which Mother Church sets aside to accent the importance of this greatest Gift, the Eucharist. St. John Mary Vianney said, “When we receive Holy Communion, we experience something extraordinary — a joy — a fragrance — a well-being that thrills the whole body and causes it to exult.” Ever since I was a little boy, going to church on Sunday was the highlight of my week. My Mom often asked me, “Who did you offer your Eucharist for today? A person making a major decision? A person who is hurting? One who is suffering? One who is sick or dying? A soul in purgatory waiting to see God?” After 23 years serving as a priest, that simple joy of participating the Eucharist remains with me, as I now celebrate the Mass for God’s people to grow in the likeness of God. The Eucharist is the heart of Catholic life and worship.

Last week the American bishops held their Spring conference in Bellevue, WA, near Seattle. They were discussing a fifty-page document on the importance of good and effective preaching. I enjoyed listening to the various bishops offering comments, observations and concerns for this important ministry with which we, as ordained clergy, are charged. I was intrigued by Emeritus Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, retired Archbishop of Washington, DC, who noted three reasons to preach: 1) Biblical preaching - breaking open the Word of God to teach, inspire and move God’s people to conversion. 2) Covenant preaching - to lead God’s people more deeply into a covenant of God’s love. God reveals Himself through the divine traits associated with the Covenant: mercy, steadfast love and fidelity. Thus the table of the Word and the table of the Eucharist, this two-fold table, feeds us as we seek to live this covenant. 3) Preaching which strengthens and increases faith, the divine communion of relationships - for when faith is fortified and nourished, it strengthens belief, witness and action as Christ’s follower.

In article 1374, the Catholic Catechism explains that in the Most Blessed Sacrament of the Eucharist, the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the whole Christ, is truly, really and substantially contained. Article 1387 stresses that in order to prepare worthily for this Holy Sacrament, the faithful should observe a one-hour fast before reception of Communion. (This fast is one hour before Communion is received, not before Mass begins.) The Catechism further explains that our bodily demeanor (gestures, clothing, appearance), ought to convey the respect, solemnity and joy of this moment when Christ becomes our guest. Blessed Pope John XXIII said the Blessed Sacrament contains all the splendor of Creation, the Incarnation and the Redemption—the whole life of Jesus. And that priests are to present the Eucharist all to the faithful as their daily nourishment, love, prayer and contemplation.

In the Sacramentary, the book that a priest prays from at the Mass, there are beautiful prayers in Appendix One for preparation for Mass and in thanksgiving after Mass. The following is a prayer attributed to Pope Clement XI, which I thought would be fitting to pray on this feast:

Lord, I believe in you: increase my faith. I trust in you: strengthen my trust. I love you: let me love you more and more. I am sorry for my sins: deepen my sorrow.

I worship you as my first beginning, I long for you as my last end, I praise you as my constant helper, and call on you as my loving protector.

Guide me by your wisdom, correct me with your justice, comfort me with your mercy, protect me with your power.

I offer you, Lord, my thoughts: to be fixed on you; my words: to have you for their theme; my actions: to reflect my love for you; my sufferings: to be endured for your greater glory.

I want to do what you ask of me: in the way you ask, for as long as you ask, because you ask it.

Lord, enlighten my understanding, strengthen my will, purify my heart and make me holy.

Help me to repent of my past sins, and to resist temptation in the future. Help me to rise above my human weaknesses and to grow stronger as a Christian.

Let me love you, my Lord and my God, and see myself as I really am: a pilgrim in this world, a Christian called to respect and love all whose lives I touch, those in authority over me, or those under my authority, my friends and my enemies.

Help me to conquer anger with gentleness, greed by generosity, apathy by fervor. Help me to forget myself and to reach out toward others.

Make me prudent in planning, courageous in taking risks. Make me patient in suffering, unassuming in prosperity.

Keep me, Lord, attentive at prayer, temperate in food and drink, diligent in my work, firm in my good intentions.

Let my conscience be clear, my conduct without fault, my speech blameless, my life well-ordered.

Put me on guard against my human weaknesses. Let me cherish your love for me, keep your law, and come at last to your salvation.

Teach me to realize that this world is passing, that my true future is the happiness of heaven, that life on earth is short, and the life to come eternal.

Help me to prepare for death with a proper fear of judgment, but a greater trust in your goodness. Lead me safely through death to the endless joy of heaven. Grant this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

I will be away studying from June 26-July 1 at Bon Secours Spiritual Center in Marriottsville, MD for continuing education through the International Institute for Clergy Formation of Seton Hall University.