Saturday, June 4, 2011

Easter 7

“Once while preaching in a parish, I suddenly caught sight of a young mother with her child, and you could see the love between them. I was terribly tempted to say to the congregation: 'Forget what I am saying and look over there, and you will see what we mean to God.'‟

- Cardinal Basil Hume

USA Today recently featured a Life Way Research survey which asked 1,000 Americans, “How often do you read the Bible?” The responses were: 53% at least once per month; 22% rarely; 24% never; and 1% didn’t know. The Bible is a love story between God and us. And God wants to tell us about who He is, who we are and the great plan that awaits us. Our Bible study resumes Monday, June 6 at 7:00 PM in Church. Bring a Bible and invite a friend! “Direct my steps by Your Word” (Ps 119:133).

I thought you might enjoy the following article which demonstrates the power of God’s Word to communicate itself with strength despite the humble messengers who bear it.

=====

The Best Sermon I Never Heard
(Reprinted from Catholic Digest, June 2011)
By Rick Hermann

I had thought the old priest’s sermon was terrible. But apparently, I had missed something.

As soon as the old priest started his sermon, I knew it was going to be boring. He began speaking with a faltering voice and proceeded to tell an obscure story that made no sense to me at all. I was quickly lost and distracted.

This was not my usual church. I was traveling and had just dropped in for evening Mass. But I knew right away that this sermon was going to be one of the worst ever. The priest seemed unprepared, vague, and detached. So I tuned him out and started fuming inside my head. Why didn’t he prepare better? Don’t they train these guys in seminary? Here we are, after 2,000 years of Church history, and our priests still haven’t figured out how to give a decent homily! No wonder our faith is so weak; it’s because the sermons are so bad!

I seethed in silent protest, stupefied and resentful. After what seemed like an eternity, the priest finally ended his sermon. I do not remember a single word he said. It was that boring. Unfortunately, for the rest of the Mass my mind wandered aimlessly along dark paths of indignation and disgust.

After Mass ended, I walked to my car. No longer able to contain my protest, I complained to a man walking beside me, “What did you think of that sermon?”

He gave a gentle reply, “That was the most beautiful sermon I ever heard.”
I was stunned, and looked up at him. His face was tear-stained, and his eyes glistened in the twilight. Suddenly embarrassed, I asked what he meant.

He responded with a smile, “I’ve spent most of my life estranged from God, going my own way and doing my own thing. Last year I found Him, or rather He found me, and now I find Him speaking to me in the most wonderful ways. Like that sermon we just heard. It was all about waking up, and listening, and hearing God in new ways. That describes my life, and the love I have found.” I was speechless. I shook his hand sheepishly and thank him. He may not speak to me, but He speaks to thee, I thought.

As I drove home, I marveled at how God could use such a dull and ordinary priest to speak in such an extraordinary way to one of his beloved. What is meaningless for me to hear, and a cross for me to bear, may be the fruitful words of life to a person sitting near.

Now I am a more humble and appreciative listener. Ever since that experience years ago, I cannot hear a boring sermon without imagining that someone, somewhere out there in the pews, may be wiping a tear from their eye and smiling.

They may be hearing the voice of God speaking directly into their heart, with healing words raining down on them like a spring shower on a dry and thirsty desert.

=====

I am reading Fr. Jonathan Morris’ new book entitled, "God Wants You Happy: From Self-Help to God-Help." I would recommend this book as a gift for a graduate or anyone. Fr. Morris serves as news analyst for Fox News Channel and also as parochial vicar for St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City. You can visit him online at http://www.fatherjonathan.com/. Fr. Morris writes, “We are created by God out of love. He gave us freedom in order that we might choose what’s best for us, to live in friendship with Him in this life and for all eternity. Genuine human flourishing, then, almost always has something to do with our good choices (positive self-help) and always has everything to do with God’s grace (God-help). Any effort to divorce one from the other is a dangerous detour into philosophical narcissism (pursuing self-help without recognition of God), or religious irrationalism (expecting God to do what He wants us to do for ourselves).” God wants us to be holy, healthy and happy -- do our choices reflect that?

A Blessing for Graduates

Before you were even formed, God knew you. While in your Mother’s womb, God named you. At your birth, God’s breath filled you with life. Today we celebrate what you have become at this moment in time. And so we pray: God of our beginnings, we thank You for the gifts of these graduates; their excitement, their awesome wonder and curiosity, their open speech and encouraging words. Their contributions have blessed and challenged us, and we have become a richer and more diverse community because of them. As they step forward into the world that awaits, comfort their fears with the full knowledge of your divine presence. Strengthen their resolve to walk in the footsteps of Jesus as modern-day disciples in a world that needs their spirit. Guide their feet as they move through life, protecting them from the pitfalls of darkness while they help to lead future generations into the warmth and promise of Your light. We ask this blessing upon each of them, in the Name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen!