Friday, August 19, 2011

Faith: the Key to Life

“You, Lord are all I have, and You will give me all I need; my future is in Your hands. How wonderful are Your gifts to me; how good they are!”

- Psalm 16: 5-6

On Saturday, August 6, a 110 year-old woman, Viva Hirsch, was buried here in Coraopolis. On this past Saturday, August 13, I had the funeral for Samuel Chiodi, 102 years old. He was married to Barbara for 72 years. She died on June 3, 2011. They were both called home from God from West Hills Rehab Center in Moon Township, PA. (Coraopolis must be good climate in which to live and grow!)

A mother of three, Maureen Placek, 53, suddenly died of a heart attack this past week. Also, I offered a service for Audrey Spanard, 80 years old, who died quickly as well. She was married for 58 years to Dr. Russell Spanard. A priest-friend of mine, Fr. Joseph McCaffery, pastor of SS John and Paul in Wexford, lost his mother, Alice Marie McCaffery (age 73), recently, too. Mrs. McCaffery’s funeral was on Thursday, August 11; she suffered with cancer for over three years. Bishop Zubik anointed her at Passavant Hospital in the North Hills and Fr. Joe mentioned that it took the Bishop’s power and prayer to release her to God, as his several anointings “didn’t work.” Fr. Joe gave a stirring, poignant and touching tribute to his mother, saying, “My mother was the most unselfish person I ever met.” Her recipe for life was faith, kindness, compassion and laughter. As the large crowd of onlookers watched the pallbearers place the casket into the hearse, Bishop Zubik blessed the remains with a triple blessing and Fr. Joe McCaffery kissed the casket in a powerful gesture of gratitude for the life, faith and love that his mother had given him.

On Friday night, August 12, at 6:30 PM in Resurrection Church in Brookline, I attended the memorial Mass of Helen Clark Hebda, mother of Bishop Bernie Hebda, Bishop of Gaylord, MI and former priest of the Diocese of Pittsburgh. She was 81 years old. Bishop Bernie mentioned that his mom always had room for everyone at the table, reminding him of God’s ever-expanding love. There is no length, height, depth that a mother will not go for her family and loved ones. Both of my priest-friends, Fr. McCaffery and Bishop Hebda, mentioned how their mothers were exemplary women and faith was the prism through which they saw everything in life. Bishop Hebda’s mother died on Divine Mercy Sunday; he highlighted the mercy of mothers -- unconditional in love and standing always by our side.

So after a week of five funerals I must say how the meaning of life as a humble journey has impressed me and how blessed we are to companion one another as we make our way to the Kingdom of God. At the close of the prayers of the faithful, I always like to pray the prayer of Cardinal Newman: "May He support us all the day long till the shadows lengthen and the evening comes and the busy world is hushed and the fever of life is over and our work on earth is done. Then in His mercy ... may He give us safe lodging and a holy rest and peace at the last."

This past week we sang at Communion during Mass a traditional spiritual entitled, “Give Me Jesus." The song goes as follows:

In the morning when I rise,
in the morning when I rise,
in the morning when I rise, give me Jesus.

Give me Jesus, Give me Jesus.
You may have all this world, give me Jesus.

Now the journey has begun,
now the journey has begun,
now the journey has begun, give me Jesus. (Refrain)

When the prize is surely won,
when the prize is surely won,
when the prize is surely won, give me Jesus. (Refrain)

I heard my mother say,
I heard my mother say,
I heard my mother say, give me Jesus. (Refrain)

Dark midnight was my cry,
dark midnight was my cry,
dark midnight was my cry, give me Jesus. (Refrain)

Oh, when I come to die,
oh, when I come to die,
oh, when I come to die, give me Jesus. (Refrain)

At the close of the Noon Mass last week, as our cantor Angela Machi-Evans lifted our spirits to the rafters with her angelic voice singing this song, I thought of these five people who recently passed away being received into the loving Hands to God. My thoughts went to Jesus, the fulfillment and perfector of all life and love.

On this 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time, Jesus, at Caesarea Philippi, asks his disciples the most pivotal question, “Who do people say that I am?” (Mt 16: 13). There were many opinions about Jesus’ identity, reaching back into the history of the Jewish people. Herod thought Jesus was John the Baptist returned to life. Others believed Jesus was the return of Elijah, expected to accompany the coming of God’s reign. Still others recognized the similarity between Jesus and the suffering prophet Jeremiah and other prophets as well. Jesus does not ask for the popular speculations, but his disciples’ personal assessment. He pushes them to the limit and waits a long time, but they must decide. Peter, the leader, gives the solemn answer, “You are the Christ (Messiah), the Son of the living God” (Mt 16: 16). The Hebrew word, “Messiah," meaning “anointed one," is equivalent to the Greek “Christos.” Jesus, the Son of God, is the one for whom God’s People have been waiting and longing. Jesus entrusts to Peter the keys, and the successor of Peter, the pope, holds these keys as leader of the Church today. It is in the Church that we find the key to answers of life. This week the 265th successor of Peter, Pope Benedict XVI, gathered for World Youth Day in Madrid, Spain, and rallied the youth to go to Church, practice the faith and celebrate the sacraments, especially Confession, the key to freedom. Regardless of our age, as the spiritual song says, "Give Me Jesus!"