Saturday, October 22, 2011

Thoughts of Love from an Autumn Retreat

“By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

— John 13:35

(From a poster hanging at the Retreat Center by William Arthur Ward)

I am more than happy; I am JOYFUL.
I am more than healthy; I am WHOLE.
I am more than alive; I am RADIANT.
I am more than successful; I am FREE.
I am more than caring; I am LOVING.
I am more than tranquil: I am PEACEFUL.
I am more than interested; I am INVOLVED.
I am more than adequate: I am TRIUMPHANT.
I am more than fortunate: I am PROSPEROUS.
I am more than human; I am a CHILD OF GOD.

I am presently on retreat at the Villa Maria Spirituality Center, home of the Sisters of Humility, approximately 55 miles from the parish. Our retreat master is Fr. James McCloskey, a Spiritan priest born in Philadelphia, ordained in 1980, and Director of Mission, Identity and Recruitment at Duquesne University. He is a joyful messenger of God’s love. Possessing a boyish face with glowing glory and joyful eyes, he is a magnetic storyteller with charming Irish wit who taught us that through the preaching of the Good News and the very quality of our daily lives, we prove our love for Christ by what we say or don’t say; do or don’t do; think or don’t think. We are called to be the “transparency of Christ” so others see Christ in us.

As I journeyed north I entered a silent zone reminding me of when the Desert Fathers would invite the novices to “enter the Sacred Place." Our present day, culture and life often create a noisy and chaotic hullabaloo; our behavior hurried and frantic, seeking loud entertainment and endless activities. It appears at times that the value and appreciation of silence in our culture has dwindled with some even considering it sterile and unpopular. However, there can’t be much spiritual life and vitality without large amounts of silence. Why? Silence purifies our vision, cleanses our hearts, strengthens and deepens our prayer life and releases us to the intimacy of love. Silence increases our capacity of knowledge, for repentance, for awareness and for wisdom.

There are eight brother-priests on the retreat. Around the campus are banners celebrating 150 years of the Sisters of the Humility of Mary (1854-2004). There are 165 sisters in this community and 50 living at Villa Maria. There are 726 acres of natural beauty, with paths, wooded trails, gardens, farms, pond, shrines, swimming pool, gift shop, fitness room, art house and herb gardens at this beautiful place in the northern tip of the Diocese of Pittsburgh. As I look outside my window, instead of trains rolling down the tracks I see cattle. Instead of the whistle of the train waking me out of a sound sleep, the mooing of the cows wakes me! While on my daily runs I hear the ducks in the pond quacking. Outside my door in Begel Hall is a cat always looking to be petted. The Magnificat Chapel in honor of the Blessed Mother has a 175-seat capacity. My surroundings couldn’t be more peaceful or beautiful.

Each conference was 20 minutes long which included comments, observations, statements and questions. Providentially, the theme of Fr. McCloskey’s retreat is love, also the theme of our Gospel today. Christ has called priests to a vocation of love, as He calls us all. This way of love is a way of deeper union with God, purity of heart and complete self-emptying. Love sees the real situation of others: their pains, confusion, struggles, sorrows, hurts and sufferings. Love also sees the beauty of people: their graces, giftedness and reflections of the goodness of the living God.

Christ called me at a young age to serve as a priest. But throughout any person’s journey of discipleship, one goes through doubts, fears and challenges that test the depths of one’s love. In order to truly love we have to break through self pre-occupations, self-concerns and sins which restrict love. Christians are at their best when they love as Christ loves. One thing I learned from Fr. McCloskey this week is that I must love people entirely, as God loves them: my family members, the 240 brother priests of the Diocese of Pittsburgh, the seven other priests I’m on retreat with, the staff I work with and the parishioners that I serve. Love hangs in there - it trusts, believes, hopes, sees, and holds nothing back. Love lets go. We must give God 100% of everything completely and freely. Jesus taught his disciples to let go of self, reputations, possessions and achievements. That is the essence of the spiritual life.

I was humbled to plan the week’s liturgies with Sr. Veronica Ternovacz, HM — organist and director of music here since 1967. Each day we celebrated one of the following martyrs who shed their blood out of love for Christ: St. Ignatius of Antioch (2nd Cent.), St. Luke (1st Cent.), Sts. Isaac Jogues and John de Brebeuf, (17th Cent.) In every century saints and martyrs have proven their love for God through their own deaths for the sake of the Gospel!

Also this week, Fr. McCloskey told a story of a Dominican sister named Virginia, one of 11 children. She had a brother with an alcohol problem, a sister with a special-needs child, a nephew on drugs. Yet despite so many challenges, she loved generously. Sister was suddenly killed in a car accident. At her funeral four things were placed on her casket symbolizing the things she loved most: 1st - a family portrait, 2nd - a crown of flowers received when making vows, 3rd - keys, because she was a retreat master, and 4th - a hat for the years she worked in Asia. The point of the story was that despite the challenges in all, she gave all her love.

We are not called to love God part-time, seasonally, with half a heart, part of a mind, or smidgen of a spirit. The poem at the beginning of this reflection, as well as those below, are meditations I found on plaques or banners while on retreat. They “spoke to me” so I thought I would share them with you in love. They anointed my spirit and made me feel God’s presence. Herbert’s poem was used by Fr. McCloskey as he reflected on his theme of 1 Cor 13. Whether poster, plaque, or poem, the ultimate purpose is to lead us to greater love.

I am grateful to find the Villa as a place of rest, prayer and blessing. Every new day, event, thought, relationship or grace received is a gift and a blessing from the Almighty. God is a lover of souls and brings profound peace and serene calmness in a soul that seeks to love Him and neighbor more each day of the journey. Thank you, St. Paul, for walking with me on this retreat through Christ’s Spirit of love. Today on World Mission Sunday, whether at home or abroad, the Christian vocation is to love as God loves and cares for us!

To pray is to
Laugh, Whistle,
Dance on happy feet,
Sing! Shout!
And Jump!
Higher than before!
But it is also to
Whisper, Wander
Stumble in dark places
Cry, Scream
Or just
Hold a tired head in
tired hands and wait…
Prayer
Is our tired
Reaching out to the
One who
Holds us closer and
loves us more
Than we would dare imagine.

— Greta Schrumm

Love bade me welcome;
yet my soul drew back,
Guilty of dust and sin.
But quick-eyed Love,
observing me grow slack
From my first entrance in,
Drew nearer to me,
sweetly questioning,
If I lack'd anything.
"A guest,‟ I answer'd,
"worthy to be here.‟
Love said, "You shall be he.‟
"I, the unkind, ungrateful?
Ah, my dear,
I cannot look on Thee.‟
Love took my hand
and smiling did reply,
"Who made the eyes but I?‟
"Truth, Lord;
but I have marr'd them;
let my shame
Go where it doth deserve.‟
"And know you not,‟ says Love,
"Who bore the blame?‟
"My dear, then I will serve.‟
"You must sit down,‟ says Love.
"and taste my meat.‟
So I did sit and eat.

— George Herbert (1593-1632)